Trinity ends Maryvilles run atop Class 3

By Joe Harris Special to PrepsKC
Posted: November 24, 2018 - 11:17 AM

ST. LOUIS – Maryville entered its Class 3 semifinal football game facing an uphill battle before the opening kickoff.

Unfortunately, the hill got steeper and steeper for the Spoofhounds once the game started.

Playing without starting quarterback Ben Walker and running back Korbin Koch due to injuries, Maryville hung with Trinity Catholic for most of the first half. But the Titans pulled away in the second half for a 36-14 win in a game played at St. Mary’s High on Saturday afternoon, ending Maryville’s bid to repeat as state champions.

“It’s a lot of hurt right now,” Maryville coach Matt Webb said. “You don’t get this close and not feel a lot of hurt and a lot of sorrow and a lot of tears being shed by kids that commit and they give a lot of effort and a lot of time and commitment to a football program and a playoff race. Right now there’s a lot of hurt and I’m hurting just like the rest of them.”

Trinity (12-2) will play Cardinal Ritter (14-0) for the state championship on Dec. 1 at Faurot Field in Columbia at 11 a.m. Ritter beat Mt. Vernon 49-6 in the other semifinal.

Trinity’s Isaiah Williams found Terriyon Cooper for a 27-yard touchdown pass with 47 seconds left in the second half to give the Titans a 15-6 lead.

Maryville (12-2) attempted a last second drive and a 35-yard pass from Eli Dowis to Tate Oglesby set up the Spoofhounds at the Trinity 19 with a few seconds left, but Dowis’ pass attempt to Oglesby in the end zone fell incomplete as time expired.

Making matters worse, Maryville was flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty on the final play of the half. The 15 yards were assessed on the opening kickoff of the second half.

Williams, a University of Illinois recruit, wasted no time taking advantage of the generous field position. On the second play of the third quarter, Williams burst through a wide-open hole in the line and 54 yards later he was in the end zone to make it 23-6 Trinity.

“Obviously, Trinity Catholic is a great team,” Oglesby said. “If you get down against them it’s tough to come back. They held their own. We had some momentum and they took it right out of us and credit them for that.”

Maryville’s offense was pushed back to the 10 on its next possession and after a poor punt, the Titans got the ball on the Spoofhounds’ 23.

Three plays later Cooper scored on a 5-yrd run. He added another 5-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter as Trinity built a 36-6 lead and wasn’t threatened.

“I created a package specifically for this team and our guys executed it well and it worked for us,” Trinity coach Terrence Curry said.

Tyler Houchin scored on a 2-yard run for Maryville midway through the fourth to wrap up the scoring.

Maryville’s strong running attack could never gain traction against Trinity’s big and physical defensive front as the Spoofhounds ended up with 185 yards rushing on 48 carries. Trinity finished with 335 yards rushing on 38 carries.

“They just beat us,” Webb said. “It wasn’t just their speed, they won the line of scrimmage. We did not win the line of scrimmage and that kind was our recipe to success. They really took it to us.”

An early Maryville miscue put the Spoofhounds behind early after Trinity recovered a fumbled snap on the game’s opening play from scrimmage to give the Titans the ball on the Maryville 24.

Six plays later, Alphonso Andrews scored on a 4-yard run to make it 6-0 Trinity with 9:12 left in the first quarter.

“We had a hard time getting a good start today,” Webb said. “All season we’ve been able to get a good start. We turn it over on the first drive and all of a sudden, its 6-0. We just could never get anything going.”

Maryville tied it up early in the second quarter on a 4-yard run by Oglesby with 9:52 left in the second quarter.

The Spoofhounds played a clean first quarter compared to Trinity who was flagged for the game’s first eight penalties. Trinity finished the first half with 11 penalties for 110 yards, compared to five for 30 yards for Maryville.

But one of Maryville’s penalties proved costly as the Spoofhounds were called for holding in their end zone. The resulting safety gave the Titans an 8-6 midway through the second quarter.

“It was a great season,” Oglesby said. “We were led by our seniors and that’s a great class. Hopefully us as juniors, we’re going to be seniors next year, and hopefully we can continue that tradition.”