Lincoln Prep holds off Washington

By Toriano Porter PrepsKC staff writer
Posted: September 15, 2018 - 1:41 AM

Complete Stats and Box Score

The Week 4 matchup between Lincoln Prep and Washington featured some of the qualities high school football fans are fond of. And other aspects that coaches despise.

On a picturesque evening inside Interscholastic League Stadium, the Blue Tigers’ 52-29 win over their visitors from Kansas featured big hits, tough runs, explosive plays, and... wait for it... penalties.

A whole heap of ‘em, too.

Game officials made their presence known. Both teams combined for 24 infractions in the first half. The second half was more of the same.

Each team received one unsportsmanlike foul during a penalty-filled contest that lasted nearly three and a half hours.

Violations aside, the game was well-played. Just two tough, hard-nosed teams duking it out Friday night under the lights.

The epitome of high school football.

“When that type of stuff happens, it just kinds of snowballs,” Lincoln Prep Head Coach William Lowe said of the flags. The Blue Tigers improved to 3-1 on the season with the win. They are 2-0 in the IL. “But, I am extremely proud of our kids and how they fought through it.”

Washington head coach Scott Strenk’s squad fell to 1-2.

“We just got to get better,” he said. “We have a lot of new young guys; a lot of guys that are really good athletes but new to football. We just got to get better every game.”

Some of those athletes shined against Lincoln. The Wildcat trio of wide receivers MarKeith Grayson, Tywan Muturi and Scyler Wallace were at times simply unstoppable.

Wallace caught almost everything thrown his way. Grayson had two, acrobatic touchdown catches in the back of the end zone. They were real highlight plays.

And Muturi had a few big moments of his own, including an impressive 44-yard catch and run in the first quarter and a splendid touchdown grab in the second where he tip-toed the end line and snagged the ball for a score. He matched Grayson’s flair for the dramatic in the process.

The Blue Tigers led the back and forth contest 12-8 midway through the second quarter but soon caught fire. Buoyed by sophomore quarterback Howard Brown, Lincoln took leads of 26-15 and 40-23 before they iced it with a long fourth quarter drive.

The series featured a steady diet of keepers from Brown. He capped it with a 4-yard scoring run to make it 46-29 with 5 minutes, 15 seconds remaining in the game.

The touchdown was Brown’s fourth of the day, giving him seven rushing touchdowns in the last two games. He has also thrown for two others.

Brown blamed the Blue Tigers’ slow start on a lack of focus.

“We were playing around,” he said.

Lincoln eventually woke up. And walked away with its third victory of the year.