Jefferson City ends BS South's season

By Jason Strickland The Jefferson City News Tribune
Posted: October 22, 2016 - 7:37 AM

The fortunes turned for the Jefferson City Jays on Friday night.

The Jays went down 7-0 because of a fumble on the first play of last week’s 49-6 loss at Rockhurst.

Blue Springs South fumbled on the third play of Friday night’s game and Rashaun Woods scored from seven yards out on the ensuing drive to give the Jays the early 7-0 lead.

The Jays fed off that fast start and kept going for four quarters as they defeated Blue Springs South 46-28 at Adkins Stadium.

Jefferson City held on to a slim 21-20 lead at halftime, but the defense clamped down on the Jaguars.

Nik Williams recovered a fumble on the Jaguars’ first second-half drive.

The Jays didn’t score off the turnover, but Adam Huff downed Gunnar See’s 44-yard punt at the 1-yard line and the Jaguars went three-and-out.

Jays linebacker Elijah Jackson sacked Camden Sprouse for a 14-yard loss late in the third quarter to help force a punt.

“We just kept rallying to the ball, kept rallying to the ball and we felt like we were getting some pressure on their quarterback, we felt like we were getting some good hits on him,” Jays coach Ted LePage said.

Jefferson City went up three scores on its next drive, going 55 yards in 10 plays to go up 39-20 with 10:43 remaining.

Woods ran 20 yards to the outside on the first play of the drive.

On a fourth-and-13 from the 27-yard line, See scrambled around before throwing it up for tight end Allan Roettgen at the 2-yard line.

“It was a heck of a catch and a heck of a throw, and that was an opportunity that really kind of broke the backs of Blue Springs South,” LePage said.

See finished the drive with a 7-yard run on third-and-goal. See also threw four touchdowns, including three to Dennis Barnes and one to Roettgen.

The Jaguars’ lone second-half touchdown came on the ensuing drive, when Sprouse hit Jerome Hawkins on a slant for a 5-yard score. Sprouse ran in for two points to cut Jefferson City’s lead to 39-28 with 7:09 left.

The Jays recovered the onside kick that bounced all the way to the 30-yard line and Woods scored from three yards out to cap off a 70-yard drive that took 4:38 off the clock.

A turnover on downs and a See kneel down ended it to send the Jays to the Class 6 District 3 semifinals next Friday at Blue Springs.

The top-seeded Wildcats defeated eighth-seeded Francis Howell Central 49-8 on Friday.

The teams went back and forth in the first half, with Jefferson City taking the lead three times and Blue Springs South tying it twice.

The Jaguars answered every Jays touchdown in the first half, but Barnes blocked a PAT following the Jaguars’ third touchdown to help the Jays hold onto a 21-20 advantage at halftime.