Miege cruises past Louisburg

By Rob Ladd PrepsKC staff writer
Posted: October 24, 2015 - 1:03 AM

Outstanding special teams play opened things up for Bishop Miege, who cruised to a 42-6 victory of Louisburg.

After a punt pinned Louisburg at their own 4-yard line, the Stags held the Wildcats to a three-and-out, forcing a punt on fourth and one.

Miege’s Landry Weber broke through to get a hand on the punt, which took a Wildcat bounce and went out of bounds at the Louisburg 23-yard line.

The Stags took full advantage of the good field position, scoring five plays later on a Dawson Downing two-yard stretch run to the left side, giving Miege a 7-0 lead.

The Wildcats answered on the ensuing possession with an 8-minute, 18-play drive capped off by a 3-yard run by Thomas San Agustin. The extra point failed and Louisburg trailed Miege 7-6.

The Wildcats held the Stags to a three-and-out on the next possession and looked poised to take their first lead of the game.

One the first plays of their next drive, a deep pass from senior quarterback Austin Terry, fell short of Louisburg’s Cole Kramer, who hit the brakes adjusting to the pass. The defensive back flew by Kramer, who brought it in for a 44-yard gain.

The Wildcats drove all the way to the Miege 9-yard line, when Stags linebacker Joe Watsky jumped out of nowhere to intercept Terry’s pass, returning it to the Stags 35-yard line with 2:40 left in the half.

Sophomore quarterback Carter Putz promptly found Downing with a dump pass at the line of scrimmage that Downing took 32 yards into Wildcat territory.

Then two plays later the Louisburg quarterback had his revenge. Terry, a two-way starter, intercepted an errant pass by Putz, returning it to the Louisburg 27-yard line.

“(Terry) is the kind of guy that if I am in a foxhole or I’m in a dark alley,” Louisburg head coach Kyle Littrell said, “I want him next to me because he’ll fight his ass off.”

The Wildcats seemed content to run out the clock, but a stifling Miege defense clamped down and forced a Louisburg punt with less than a minute remaining in the half.

Putz then completed passes of 7, 10, and 23 yards. A holding penalty backed the Stags up the Wildcat 37-yard line, but Putz easily found Danny Murphy for an 11-yard gain, setting up 3rd and 14 with 10 seconds left in the half.

Putz scrambled out of a broken pocket toward the line of scrimmage and heaved a prayer into the end zone as time expired. His favorite target, Jafar Armstrong, was waiting in the end zone. Armstrong hauled in the 26-yard pass for a touchdown to give the Stags a 14-6 halftime lead.

Miege received the ball to begin the second half and decided to get fancy against an aggressive Louisburg defense. Putz passed laterally to backup quarterback Landry Weber, who wound up and fired a deep pass to a steaking Armstrong who took it 76 yards for the score.

“Worked every time in practice,” Weber said. “I had confidence that no matter where I put it (Armstrong) would catch it.”

Louisburg made their last stand in the 3rd quarter. Trailing by just two scores, Mitch McClellan returned a Stag punt 30 yards to the Miege 31-yard line. That’s when Nolan Gray put the clamp down.

Gray batted down a pass on first down, sacked Terry on second down, and chased a Wildcat runner down from behind on third down.

“It’s one of the first dog fights we’ve had in a while,” Gray said. “Our coaches prepared us well; we knew what they were doing each time. So we just made the play. We were motivated, we were playing as hard as we could.”