St. James powers past DeSoto

Jeff Stead/PrepsKC

By Jim Bradford PrepsKC Senior Writer
Posted: September 19, 2015 - 1:05 AM

Dylan Streeter does a little bit of everything for the St. James Academy Thunder.

Friday night he did it all.

The junior running back and defensive back scored two touchdowns, picked of a pass in the first half and added a 34-yard field goal in the Thunder’s 26-10 win over DeSoto in a rain delayed game at St. Thomas Aquinas.

Oh, and he rushed for 135 yards, too.

“The guy is a freak,” St. James head coach Tom Radke said. “(Jake) Bergmeier went down with a high ankle sprain in the first quarter and Streeter stepped up huge for us. He’s one of those players that just make things happen.”

The junior has already scored touchdowns three different ways this season, returning two kickoffs for touchdowns and a punt for a score.

While his 34-yard field goal finally put the Thunder on the board with less than a minute to go in the first half, it was his interception of a tipped ball just about 20 seconds later that turned the tide of the game.

DeSoto quarterback Nate Thompson was gunning for Sam Regnier on a quick out and the pass bounced off Regnier’s hands and right into the hands of Streeter.

“I saw that ball in the air and my eyes lit up,” Streeter said. “We practice that play, so I knew exactly what to do.”

The Thunder capitalized, scoring five plays later on a three-yard by Streeter with four seconds to play in the half. They missed the extra point and took 9-7 lead into the half.

Aside from an early fourth quarter field goal that pulled the Wildcats a bit closer, the second half was all St. James.

“We wasted so many opportunities in the first half,” Radke said. “We just had to stay with it and keep playing hard.”

After going up 9-7 at the half, the Thunder added to that lead midway through the third quarter, going 92 yards on eight plays and scoring on Streeter’s 19-yard run.

After DeSoto pulled to within 16-10 on a 39-yard field goal by Lee Cooper, the Thunder scored the last 10 points, including Streeter’s second touchdown of the game.

Defensively, the Thunder were on it all night long. Aside from giving up the one 67-yard scoring drive late in the second quarter, the Thunder allowed just 11 yards of total offense all night long.

“I thought our coaches did a heck of a job preparing for them tonight,” Radke said. “It all goes to them.”

Streeter was one of seven Thunder players to run the ball Friday night. They were able to roll up 229 yards on the ground — despite getting only 28 yards from Burgmeier, who was averaging 134 yards a game — and another 168 through the air.

St. James is now 3-0 on the season and DeSoto falls to 2-1.

Neither team could get anything going until late in the second quarter. After St. James went for it on fourth down in the Wildcats’ end and came up short, DeSoto took over at the 33 with nine minutes to play in the half.

They marched down the field in eight plays and Thompson went in from three yards out to put the Wildcats up 7-0. Lee Cooper took care of most of the yardage with a 31-yard scamper around the right end. He fumbled the ball as he was tackled inside the 5-yard line, but the Wildcats recovered the ball and scored on the next play.

The Thunder answered with a 34-yard field goal by Streeter on the ensuing drive to cut the lead to 7-3 with 49 seconds to play in the first half.