Cameron downs Leblond, moves to 3-0

By Thomas Huitt-Johnson The St. Joseph News-Press
Posted: September 13, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Cameron opened up Friday night’s game against Bishop LeBlond with a 14-play, 60-yard drive but failed to score.

The Dragons ended the game in the same fashion but had a different result.


Marshall Colson’s 1-yard touchdown with 22 seconds to play closed out a 15-play, 55-yard drive that took up 9 minutes, 50 seconds of game clock as the Dragons defeated the Golden Eagles 41-14 at Eagle Stadium.

The opening drive didn’t do much in terms of scoring, but Cameron felt the first drive set a statement much needed.

“That was the game plan going in: we were going to play physical football, run the football and play good defense,” Dragons coach Jeff White said. “With their offense putting up as many points as they had, we wanted to keep the ball out of their hands as much as possible.”

The Dragons converted three third downs and a fourth down as it steadily crept down field in the first quarter. But LeBlond’s defense stopped Joe Pratt on 4th-and-5 to take the football for the first time with 4:40 remaining in the quarter.

Less than two minutes later, Cameron came back to score.

After LeBlond (2-1, 0-1 Midland Empire Conference) punted, Kyle Anderson received an option as he pulled left and sprinted 55 yards down the right side for the first score. The rest of the night, Pratt took care of the ground game.

Pratt, who racked up 126 yards on 24 carries, scored three touchdowns in the second half as Cameron (3-0, 1-0 MEC) began to open up a big lead.

“It feels great to finally start winning games, but this is just the beginning,” said Pratt, who did most of his damage after halftime. “We knew coming in at the beginning it was going to be tough. We just had to keep pounding the rock and eventually it was just going to break and it did. I’m really proud of my offensive line, they did a great job blocking and playing physical, so I’m really proud of them.”

For the rest of the story click here.