Bulldogs bounce back

PrepsKC staff

By Sean Kosednar PrepsKC Staff Writer
Posted: August 25, 2017 - 11:23 PM

It was a defensive struggle most of the game when Kearny topped Raytown South 20-0 Friday, August 25. With the win, the Bulldogs avoided dropping to 0-2 for the first time since 2004.

Raytown South’s defense held strong in the first half with two fourth down stops inside the red zone. Including one on their 12-yard line.

“The defense played excellent,” head coach Nick Adkins said. “We talked at halftime that there are three phases of the game and we had one playing great and the other two needed to step up.”

Kearny head coach Josh Gray believed in both sides of the ball.

“It was confidence in the defense yes,” Gray said, “and it was confidence in the offense as well. We wanted to try and spark something while we were moving the ball well.”

One of the biggest plays of the game came from one of the biggest guys on the field. Late in the first half Kearny defensive lineman Daniel Piburn broke through the line and knocked the pass. The senior then had the presence of mind to know it was a backwards pass and jump on the ball recovering it for the Bulldogs on the 16-yard line.

“I got off the edge and saw the pass and swatted it,” Pilburn said. “Then I saw it on the ground and jumped on it.”

Only a handful of plays later Patrick Connery punched the first of his two touchdowns on the day and put Kearny up 7-0.

“It was great to establish the run game early on,” Connery said, “that was a focus all week. The offensive line did great in the second half. They opened up a ton of holes for me to read.”

A Cardinal turnover with under a minute left in the first half looked to set up Kearny for another score. First an offensive pass interference canceled out one touchdown; then a Lawrence Parker interception at the goal line ended the half.

The second half saw little action as both teams traded punts for most of the third quarter. Near the end of the quarter Kearny was able to put together a long drive that was capped off with Connery’s second touchdown of the game.

“[Raytown South] is a well-coached team with some great athletes,” Gray said. “We wanted to keep doing what we do and things would take care of themselves. That was what we talked about at halftime.”

The Bulldogs would add a third touchdown with just under five minutes left in the game to seal it. Quarterback Jaxon Kutch found Gunnar Carpenter wide open for an 18yard score.