Lansing tops Turner for a homecoming win

By Derek Helling The Leavenworth Times
Posted: October 3, 2015 - 1:07 AM

The contest at Lansing High School between the Lions and the Turner Golden Bears figured to be full of successful attempts to run the ball, but no one expected that facet of the game to be so one-sided.

Lansing ran for 471 yards as a team, led by junior Quinton McQuillan's 266 yards and three touchdowns as the Lions won their homecoming game 29-7.

"It was a tough week of preparation for us," Lions' head coach Jon McCall said. "We had a lot of homecoming activities. Those are fun and great for everybody but I think that it showed a little bit. I am really proud of how the kids came out in spite of that. The kids came out really well and took care of business."

The game started out with Turner turning the ball over on downs to the Lions at the Lansing 45, and the Lions took nine plays to get McQuillan into the end zone for his first score of the night from 12 yards out.

After a Golden Bears punt, McQuillan decided that he liked being in the end zone too much to waste any time, taking the ball 42 yards to paydirt on the first play of the drive and putting his team up 13-0 with 2:46 left in the first quarter.

Neither team would score for the rest of the half, and Turner was still in the game despite being outgained heavily in first downs and yardage by the Lions.

Lansing started out the second half with the ball, and drove to the Turner nine before stalling. Sophomore Tyler Kobulnicky was still able to make the drive count, converting a 20-yard field goal attempt with 8:18 left in the third quarter to put the Lions up 15-0.

Lansing's defense once again shut the Golden Bears down, and the offense went back to work. Nine plays after taking over possession, senior quarterback Nick Redwine dove into the end zone from yard out and put his team up 22-0 with 48.1 seconds left to play in the third quarter.

It was at that point that Turner finally responded, putting together a touchdown drive and then recovering an onside kick attempt to threaten the Lions' lead with just over 11 minutes left to play.

That threat was ended, however, when junior Henry Myrick intercepted a Golden Bears pass at the Lions' seven-yard line. The Lions would rebuild their lead from there, going 93 yards in nine plays and capping the possession with McQuillan's third touchdown run from three yards out.

For the rest of the story click here.