Fort Osage tops Oak Park to stay perfect

By Michael Smith The Examiner
Posted: October 3, 2015 - 12:51 AM

Fort Osage received an unexpected punch in the mouth early in the game when the winless Oak Park Northmen answered an Indian opening touchdown with one of its own.

From there, varsity the defense picked it up, only allowing three first downs and 26 total yards the rest of the way to blast Oak Park 49-14 at Staley High School Friday.

After the Indians (7-0, 4-0 in the Suburban Middle Seven) scored on their first possession on Bailey Williamson’s 16-yard touchdown run, the Northmen, a team which averaged just 9.8 points per game and had been shut out twice coming in, ran the ball right at them.

Brysen Stiger capped a 71-yard drive with a 13-yard jaunt to make it 7-7 early in the first quarter.

Oak Park didn’t get another run of more than 10 yards the rest of the night against the varsity defense, and Fort Osage had 10 tackles for loss.

“We’re a very passionate team,” Fort Osage defensive lineman Brennan Garrett said. “Just seeing stuff like that (the Oak Park touchdown) rubs us the wrong way. We got together on the sideline, talked to each other and calmed down.

“It was minor mistakes. It was guys not doing their job and guys running the wrong way and missed tackles was a big part of that first drive. Oak Park is not the best-known team, but they got some players and we have to stay physical with those teams.”

Although the Northmen forced two turnovers on downs in the first half in their own territory, the Indians went into the locker room up 35-7 at halftime.

Williamson busted run up the gut for a 20-yard to make 14-7. Then it took just one play for the Indians to score again on the subsequent drive when Indians quarterback Skylar Thompson hit Kevin Rush, who had three grabs for 89 yards, along the left sideline for a 45-yard bomb to put their team ahead 21-7.

Thompson later connected with Williamson on a screen pass, and the multi-faceted running back bobbed and weaved his way for a 59-yard score, and another screen pass got receiver Matt Smith a 5-yard touchdown with 50 seconds left in the half.

For the rest of the story click here.