North Kansas City edges William Chrisman

By Michael Smith The Examiner
Posted: September 19, 2015 - 12:31 AM

Last week, the William Chrisman football team took pride in spoiling Oak Park’s homecoming with a 26-6 win.

Unfortunately for the Bears, they were on the receiving end Friday.

A missed extra point, three turnovers and a failed two-point conversion doomed the Bears in a 14-12 homecoming loss to North Kansas City at Independence All-School Stadium.

After the game, the players went into the locker room, as head coach Scorpio Horn put his right foot on the pylon in the back of the end zone, while staring at the door of the locker room in deep thought.

“We didn’t do what we needed to do as a coaching staff,” said Horn, whose team dropped to 2-3 overall and 2-2 in the Suburban Middle Six. “It’s on us. Our kids did everything they needed to do.”

Down by two points, quarterback James Bailey was put in a situation he’s never been put in before, having to air it out in the two-minute drill.

A Hornet punt pinned Chrisman at their own 1-yard line with 2:22 left in the game. The team marched down the field aided by Bailey passes to D’Vontae Brown for 25, Kyron Mason for 8 and DaVonte Porter for 16. It got the ball to the NKC 36 with 34 seconds left. Bailey lofted a wobbly pass down the left sideline intended for Chris Anderson. Chris Elizondo picked off the pass to seal the win for the Hornets.

“Our team is not a Hail Mary team,” Horn said. “We’re just not a team that can do that in two minutes. We didn’t execute, do the right things and didn’t make the right plays.”

Both teams fumbled the ball once in the first half, which was recovered by the other team. Brown fumbled in Hornet territory and Nathan Shook made the recovery at the 22. NKC got the ball all the way to the Chrisman 13 before Grady Ogle recovered Clyde Price’s fumble to give the ball back to the Bears the ball at their own 5.

Aftera stalled drive, Chrisman stopped the Hornets after a muffed punt, setting the team up with a short field at the 37. It got the ball all the way to the 6 but a penalty and a negative run from Bailey gave NKC a turnover on downs, blowing up a golden opportunity.

The game was scoreless at halftime, and the Hornets came out swinging. Damon Whitmill, who had 214 yards on 24 carries, broke a 49-yard TD run on a draw play on the opening possession of the third to make it 7-0.

For the rest of the story click here.