Fort Osage moves past Lee's Summit

By Michael Smith The Examiner
Posted: September 4, 2015 - 11:59 PM

Fort Osage senior wide receiver Matt Smith hadn’t heard his name called much by the public address announcer for the first couple of games.

After all, he only had seven total yards to his name.

That changed Friday.

He had a big 63-yard kick return which set up an Indians’ touchdown and caught 11 balls for 109 yards and two scores during a 28-14 victory against Lee’s Summit at Fort Osage High School.

“We watched a lot of film and saw openings for pop screens,” Smith said of his big performance. “Coach (Ryan Schartz) was allowing me to get loose on a couple of them.”

With the game tied 7-7 at halftime, Smith received the kick, found a huge hole and took the ball all the way to the Tigers’ 17-yard line. That set up a 17-yard touchdown run from Bailey Williamson, who went in untouched on a left sweep to make it 14-7 Fort Osage.

“Honestly, after that kickoff return, and I saw what he did, I felt like I needed to get the ball to him a little bit,” Schartz said. “His confidence level was really high, so I knew he would make plays.”

Lee’s Summit responded, though. On Fort Osage’s next drive, quarterback Skylar Thompson was intercepted by Zavian Hill and the Tigers regained possession at their own 12-yard line.

Three plays into the ensuing drive, Lee’s Summit quarterback Dalton Hill, who had a great game, completing 13 of 27 passes for 203 and also ran for 88 yards, found a wide-open Zach Mitchell for a 55-touchdown strike to draw the game to a 14-all tie at the 5:54 mark in the third.

“It was a very impressive quarterback display on both sides,” Schartz said.

On the subsequent kickoff, an onside kick was recovered by Josh Herbel to put Lee’s Summit back in business.

Well, for about 2 minutes anyway.

On the first play of the drive, Sima Thomas knifed through the Tiger offensive line then laid a big hit on Hill popping the ball loose and it was recovered by the Indians’ Brennan Garrett at the Fort Osage 45.