Chrisman tops Raytown for first win

By Mike Genet The Examiner
Posted: August 28, 2015 - 11:51 PM

The lightning that appeared fourth quarter of Friday’s football game highlighted the obvious – that William Chrisman’s lead was in deep danger of disappearing.

In a battle of two teams coming off first-week losses, Chrisman led 20-14 with 7:36 remaining when the officials called a lightning delay at 9:10 p.m. But Raytown had a first-and-10 at the Bears’ 11 following after Chrisman was flagged for a late hit on Raytown quarterback Mike Baxter as his second-down pass fell incomplete in the end zone.

When play resumed a little more than two hours later, Chrisman not only held strong but tacked on a safety and two touchdowns for a 34-14 win in front of a couple hundred hardy fans.

“The offense has done their job; they put up 20 points,” Chrisman coach Scorpio Horn, whose team lost 47-6 last year at Raytown, said he told his team before play resumed. “We’ve got to get a stop … and they went out and did it. They stayed with it and got a stop.

“We’re small in numbers but big in heart.”

The late hit penalty before the delay was the 10th snap of Raytown’s drive starting from its own 35 after Chrisman had taken the lead again. Two plays earlier Baxter had connected with Christian Woods for 12 yards on fourth-and-6.

On the first snap after the delay, Chrisman’s Daniel Carson stuffed Antonio Williams for a 1-yard loss. Baxter threw incomplete, then was sacked on third down by Darius Stone and had his fourth-down pass broken up by Ronnell Hearron.

“To get that stop, it changed the game,” Chrisman linebacker Michael Johnson said.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Chrisman quarterback James Bailey found slotback Kyron Mason for a 48-yard catch-and-run touchdown, but the Blue Jays stopped Mason short on the two-point conversion run to keep the margin at 20-14.

After Chrisman’s big stop, Bailey extended a drive with a pair of third-down completions before Chrisman had to punt from the Raytown 49.

But the Blue Jays’ return man muffed D’Vontae Brown’s boot and was thrown out of bounds at his own 2. On the next snap Grady Ogle knifed through to bury Deon Carpenter in the backfield for a safety with 2:32 left.

Five snaps later Bailey rumbled 17 yards for the clinching touchdown. When Baxter drove Raytown downfield in a last-ditch response, Emori Thomas jumped a pass and returned his interception 90 yards for the final score.

For the rest of the story click here.