Park Hill tops Lee's Summit to stay perfect

By Joe Caronia PrepsKC Staff Writer
Posted: October 4, 2014 - 1:36 AM

Two high powered teams meet north of the river as the Lees Summit Tigers traveled to Park Hill to face the Trojans.  The Trojans outlasted the Tigers 44-33.  The game started with a bang.  In the first five minutes of the game there were 3 scores.

Trojans Matt Harris went 72 yards to set his team up for the first score.  Quarterback Tyler Holmes running a read option, dropped the ball, calmly scooped it up and went 5 yards for the score.  Parker Sampson missed the kick.

Tigers Zach Mitchell returned the kickoff, an electrifying 99 yards.  Aaron Washington converted the kick.

Park Hill had a three and out, and after the punt, Lees Summit fumbled, and the Trojans made them pay when Harris plunged through with a 1-yard run.  Again the kick was no good.

With just 21 seconds left in the first quarter Harris again scampered into the end zone from 6-yards out.  The Trojans tired a two point pass but it was incomplete and the first quarter ended with the Trojans ahead 18-7.

The Trojans expanded the lead when Holmes kept a read option and went down the middle of the field for a 39-yard score.  Parker Sampson converted the kick making the score 25-7.

Simone candidate, Drew Lock, led an 80 yard drive and threw a strike to Zach Mitchell from the 11-yard line.  Washington made the PAT, and the teams went to halftime with the Trojans leading 25-14.

The Trojans kept applying pressure Holmes found Jeremiah Benson in the corner of the end zone from 24-yards out.  The Tigers blocked the conversion.

Lock refused to give up.  He rolled to his left and threw a 22-yard laser to Mitchell and he found pay dirt for his second touchdown. Washington was true again.

The Tigers special teams struck again.  Delshon Spratt fielded a bouncing punt and went the distance for a 45 –yard touchdown.  Washington’s missed the kick and after three quarters the Trojans were up 31-27.

Trojan coach Josh Hood, crossed up the Tigers when he called for a “Jet-Sweep”, Benson took the hand-off and scored from 25 yards out.  Sampson converted the kick.

With 6:10 left in the fourth quarter, on 3rd and 8 Holmes dropped back to pass and when he saw no one open he tucked it and went 34-yards for the touchdown.  The Trojans faked the kick and tried a two-point pass, but it fell incomplete.

Lock would not give up.  He rolled to his right and, showing incredible arm strength, threw across his body, and found Hunter Allee for a 29 yard score.  The kick was missed by Washington.

The game was put away when Clayton Cole picked off Lock for the second time of the evening. 

Clayton talked about the interception to end the threat.  “All week long in practice, Coach told me to run with the running back on the wheel route.  I did it, and it was a big play.”

Coach Hood was pleased with a hard fought win.  “We told our defense all week, he (Lock) is an excellent passer, we have to make them take 12, 14, play drives.  We did not want to give up the long plays.”

Park Hill is now 7-0 and will look to remain undefeated when they travel to St. Joseph Central.  Lee’s Summit drops to 4-3 and will host Ray Pec.