Not this time

Lori Houck/Special to PrepsKC

By Jim Bradford PrepsKC Senior Writer
Posted: October 3, 2014 - 11:21 PM

Along the way to the Kansas Class 6A state title game last fall, Shawnee Mission East lost just one game last year.

And it was at the hands of Lawrence-Free State.

Revenge was on the minds of the top-ranked team in Kansas on Friday night and it didn’t take long for the Lancers to provide the knockout punch in avenging last year’s defeat, beating Free State in Lawrence 42-14.

“Knowing they beat us last year had everyone pretty amped up,” East quarterback Gunnar England said. “We wanted to get some revenge for that game last year. Everyone was really pumped up.”

The Lancers got on the board less than three minutes into the game and never looked back.

Even though the Firebirds tied the score just a few minutes later, the Lancers were on control the whole way.

They then put together a 28-0 run to turn the game into a laugher.

“We played better in all phases of the game tonight,” said East head coach Dustin Delaney. “I really think this was the best all-around game we played all year.

“We were able to clean up some of those little things that had been hurting us.”

When you’re averaging 42 points a game in rolling to a 5-0 mark, it’s tough to find fault, but Delaney and the Lancers know they hadn’t been perfect, despite their record.

“Things really went well for us offensively tonight,” England said. “We played pretty flawlessly, with just a couple of little exceptions.”

The Lancers went up 21-7 at the half and added a pair of third quarter scores — an 8-yard run by Jackson Gossick and a 7-yard run by Calvin Jones — to extend their lead to 35-7.

Free State scored late in the third quarter when Bryce Torneden went in from one yard away.

The final score of the night came on an England to Ronnell Lewis pass from 13 yards out. Mitch Tamblyn was perfect on his six extra points on the night.

“We really just didn’t play well,” said Free State head coach Bob Lisher. “Our goal was to improve and try and stay healthy and we really weren’t able to do either.”

East, the no. 1 team in the state, flexed their muscle early, scoring on their first two possessions of the game and then adding another score in the second quarter to take a 21-7 halftime lead.

Wyatt Edmisten padded his touchdown total with a 10-yard score just three minutes into the game. The score capped a four-play, 53-yard drive.

After going three and out on their first possession, the Firebirds answered the Lancers’ score with one of their own as Torneden went in from 15 yards out to cap a 14-play drive that ate up better than six minutes of the first quarter clock.

The Lancers reclaimed the lead just two minutes later when England hooked up with Alec Dean from 42 yards out.

The Lancers then doubled their lead midway through the second quarter when Edmisten scored from one yard out.

The two touchdowns moved Edmisten’s total to 14 on the year, an average of nearly three scores a game.

Both teams spread the ball around. England and Edmisten had 50 and 49 yards, respectively and England added 65 yards through the air.

For the Firebirds, Torneden had 38 yards on the ground, Joel Spain had 37 and Joe Lane had 38.

Edmisten ended the night with 110 yards on 20 carries and two scores. England had 69 yards on the ground and 87 through the air. Jones had 65 yards on 12 carries, all of which came in the second half.

Spain ended up leading Free State with 74 yards on the ground. Torneden added 69 and Lane chipped in 54 yards on the ground.