Caught in the Webb

By Cole Young PrepsKC Senior Writer
Posted: August 29, 2014 - 11:05 PM

Webb City coach John Roderique asked his players following their game against Rockhurst how many thought they’d hold their opponent scoreless the rest of the way after falling behind 14-0 in the first quarter.

A couple players raised their hands.

“You guys are lying,” he joked.

The Cardinals showed Friday night they are no joke, scoring 40 unanswered points on their way to a 40-14 road victory against the two-sizes larger Hawklets, who were ranked No. 4 in Class 6.

Even with the lopsided score, the game wasn’t really in hand until the third quarter when the Cardinals, ranked No. 1 in Class 4, went on a 20-play 92-yard drive that ate over 8 minutes off the clock capped off by a 15-yard score from Kaleb Potts.

The drive came on the heels of a 61-yard Rockhurst pass play that ended with a fumble on the Webb City 8. This came on the heels of a 27-point second quarter for Webb City which was followed by a nearly two hour halftime weather delay.

“You just felt it,” Rockhurst coach Tony Severino said. “Right after that first fumble coming out of the second half after the break, it went from being right back in this thing to being right back out of it. That’s that offense. If you let them get ahead of you that’s what can happen.”

The offense Severino is referring to is the triple option that Webb ran nearly to perfection after giving up one turnover early on.

It was a near second turnover that really turned the tide early on for Webb City.

Leading 14-7, Rockhurst safety Tyler Benninghoff appeared to have intercepted the Webb City pass ending the Cardinals’ scoring chance.

Instead, Webb City receiver Kiante Hardin ripped the ball from Benninghoff’s hands as he was going to the ground and went untouched into the end zone.

“What a play,” Roderique said. “Sometimes you have to be lucky. You have a little bit of luck here and there. That kind of carried us for a bit.”

For the Hawklets, who thrived on turnovers in their Week 1 victory over Rock Bridge, they instead were the ones giving the ball up.

After Potts’ touchdown to make the game 34-14, Rockhurst turned the ball over again on the ensuing kickoff ending any realistic hopes for a comeback.