Still perfect

PrepsKC staff

By Brian Spano PrepsKC Senior Writer
Posted: November 7, 2013 - 12:01 AM

Pleasant Hill held off a furious fourth-quarter charge and got a lucky bounce of the ball to keep its undefeated record intact, ousting Raytown South from the Missouri Class 4 playoffs Wednesday night 24-13.
More than anything, what did the Cardinals in was turnovers and penalties. Ray-South dug itself a hole early, getting down 14-0 by halftime.
"We came out and unfortunately did the things we did earlier in the year in losses and killed ourselves," Cardinals head coach David Allie said. "Don't take anything away from Pleasant Hill. They're a good ballclub. They had a great game plan. We didn't stop them very much defensively, but we had our shots offensively, and just shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties."
The Roosters (11-0) first touchdown was set up by an interception. As the Cardinals (4-7) were marching deep into Pleasant Hill territory, senior defensive back Tyler Sanford picked off Deallon Walton's pass at the 2-yard line.
Josh Shewmaker led the Roosters 98 yards in just eight plays capped by his seven-yard gallop into the end zone to give his squad the 7-0 lead.
The Rooster's second touchdown was also set up by an interception. This time it was junior Kolin Rogers was in the right place at the right time. Pleasant Hill was set up at the Ray-South 42. Three plays later, Shewmaker tossed a 40-yard pass for the score.
"Turnovers were huge," Pleasant Hill head coach Kyle Roach said. "Our defense, I don't know, we're plus quite a bit in turnovers this year, and our defense has played really tough and finished things off at the end of games when we needed it."
Halfway through the third quarter, senior running back Brandon Cassity put the Roosters up 21-0 with a seven-yard, and it appeared it would be smooth sailing the rest of the way. In fact, the Cardinals ran just three plays the entire quarter.
Then the fourth quarter started.
After a missed Pleasant Hill field goal, the Cardinals started at their own 20, and in just four plays were on the board from Stephon Rucker-Carroll four-yard touchdown run. All of a sudden, the Ray-South sideline came alive.
On the Cardinals next series, Walton connected with Jabril Cox for a 36-yard score with 3:42. The point after was blocked, but with 3:42 to play, this was now a ball game.
"Credit to them," Roach said. "They stopped us on a couple of drives. We had a couple of nice drives that just dead ended two or three times in the second half. We have to do better finishing. Our kids hung in there, and they hung in there all year."
When the Roosters got the ball back, the Cardinals were able to hold them to a three-and-out with less than three minutes to play, but on the punt, the ball bounced off a Ray-South player. A player from each team took possession of the ball, but it was Pleasant Hill that eventually came away with it at the Cardinals 17-yard line.
Placekicker Tanner Pettet kicked a 28-yard field goal with 31 seconds to play to effectively put the game out of reach.