Miege gets statement win at Blue Valley

By Jim Bradford PrepsKC Senior Writer
Posted: September 13, 2013 - 8:19 AM

Blue Valley couldn’t get out of its own way Thursday night. And Bishop Miege took advantage, rolling past the Tigers 24-15 at Blue Valley District Stadium.
The win moves the Stags to 2-0 on the season and drops Blue Valley to 1-1.
Miege used a handful of big plays Thursday night, and interception return for a touchdown and a late field goal to ice the Tigers.
“We really stepped up tonight,” said Miege head coach Jon Holmes. “Especially our offensive line. We had a freshman and two sophomores out there staring for us.
“They did a great job protecting (Ryan Willis) and we were able to run the ball just enough to win.”
Willis put together his second straight impressive performance, completing 19-of-33 for 286 and two touchdowns, but it was an 11-yard scramble on third and seven with three minutes to play that kept their drive alive. Four plays later Collin Carter nailed a 36-yard field goal with 1:35 to play to drive the final nail in the Tigers’ proverbial coffin.
“I saw that all of our receivers were covered and I had to do something,” Willis said. “I just tried to cut back and get the first down.”
While the Carter field goal iced the game, it was a 13-yard interception return for a score by Keegan Wilson with 1:50 to play in the third quarter that put the Stags up by two scores.
“My job was to play the run on that play,” Wilson said. “I had to watch the flat and when I saw their receiver run that hitch, I saw the ball coming and I spun around real fast and reacted on the ball.
“After that, I was going to do whatever I had to do to get into the endzone.”
The score put the Stags up 21-8 and was their only touchdown of the second half.
The Tigers would answer with a touchdown in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter, but their continued problems holding onto the ball just killed their chances.
They fumbled the ball six times, losing four. Quarterback Logan Brettell also threw one interception. If that wasn’t bad enough, the Tigers also handed the Stags a scoring opportunity in the first half by turning the ball over on downs.
It was an interesting first half for the two oldest EKL teams. While Bishop Miege used a pair of big plays to secure a 14-88 lead at the half, Blue Valley was getting in their own way. The Tigers coughed up the ball twice inside the Stags’ 10-yard line.
Blue Valley was able to recoup a couple of points on their first possession despite laying the ball on the ground at the 1. Two plays later, Henry McGrew and Caleb Kjergaard wrapped up Miege’s Darin George in the end zone for a safety, putting Blue Valley up 2-0.
“We face adversity all the time,” Homes said. “We knew this game was not going to end 2-0, so the guys knew they had to make plays.”
Miege answered three minutes later on a Willis to McKinley Johnson 31-yard touchdown pass, to put Miege up 7-2 with two minutes late in the opening quarter. That was big play no. 1 for the Stags.
Six minutes later, Blue Valley reclaimed the lead 8-7 on a Montana Brady 8-yard touchdown run with 8:05 to play in the first half.
Miege answered the Tigers’ score with one of their own, just 1:06 later when Willis hooked up with Chris Ford from 11 yards out. Big play no. 2 came earlier in the drive when Johnson took a quick out from Willis and scampered back across the grain for another 35 yards after the catch to set the Stags up at the Blue Valley 11.
The Tigers looked to add to regain lead later in the second quarter, but a second fumble inside the 10 stopped the Tigers in their tracks.
Chance Nelson led the way for Blue Valley in the first half with 101 yards on the ground on 20 carries. He finished with 152 yards on 29 carries, but had just 19 yards on his final eight carries.
Willis had 14 through the air in the first half to go along with his two touchdowns. Johnson had three catches for 92 yards. He finished with eight catches for 160 yards.
Miege, a team that played in the Class 5A state title game last year, came into the game on the heels of a blowout win over Blue Valley North in week one.