St. Pius X holds on to beat Cameron

By Joe Caronia PrepsKC staff writer
Posted: October 31, 2012 - 11:41 PM

In the Missouri Class 3 playoff game between the St. Pius X Warriors and the Cameron Dragons, the Warriors held onto win the game 21-20.
The Warriors will advance as the Dragons missed a 41 yard field goal with thirty five seconds left in the game. The field goal attempt never had a chance due to the timing being off on the play. The ball was snapped and the holder put the ball down before sophomore kicker Andrew Carr was ready. Carr slipped, and tried to restart his kicking motion, but the ball went wide right.
Special teams were an important factor throughout the game. The Warriors first score was set up by a punt return from Nicholas Keller to the Dragons 20-yard line. The Warriors drove the ball down to the one yard line and Joe McCoy carried it in from there. Daniel Hoambrecker was good with the conversion making the score 7-0.
The Dragons came back with a long drive that featured a 33-yard reception from Dakota Calhoon to Kody Petersen. The Dragons were on the 12-yard line, when Calhoon faked a hand-off and scored on a twelve yard bootleg keeper. Carr lined up for the PAT, but the point was blocked. The Dragons trailed 7-6.
The Warriors next scoring drive was helped by two big chunks of yardage through the air. Senior quarterback Grant Gavin hooked up with wide out Sam Monachino for a big third down conversion. Gavin also hit his running back Gabe Akalugwu down the middle to the one yard line. Gavin scored from there on a sneak. Hoambrecker was good again and the Warriors were up 14-6.
The Dragons returned the kick-off to the 43-yard line, with :43 left in the half. Petersen got behind the defense as he and Calhoon hooked up for a 53-yard reception, placing the ball at the Pius 3-yard line. On the next play Calhoon found Petersen for a touchdown. The Dragons went for two and Joe Pratt converted, sending the game to the half tied at 14.
Pius Head Coach Rick Byers was not pleased by the last drive of the half.
“We let them back in the game on that play,” Byers said. “We had control of the game, but we let them right back in.”
The third quarter was scoreless until Joe Pratt took a handoff and broke the run to the outside and went 41 yards for a touchdown. The point after was blocked again by the Warriors.
Down by six, Pius began to drive for the go ahead score. The key play was a one handed catch on the sideline by Marshall Mason. At 4:58 of the fourth quarter Kelliher scored on a 5-yard run. Hoambrecker made his third conversion giving the Warriors the lead for good.
The Dragons finished the season with a record of 2-9. St. Pius will face the undefeated Maryville on November 5th. The teams met earlier in the year with Maryville winning 43-7.