Too close

Karl Zinke/The Examiner

By Brian Spano PrepsKC Senior Writer
Posted: September 29, 2012 - 1:14 AM

The build-up to Staley at Fort Osage for Week 6 of the season was supposed to be a Falcon’s offense that had found its groove against an Indians’ defense that had recorded four shutouts in its first five games of the season.
Well, defense wasn’t the story as Staley ended Fort Osage’s dream of a perfect season with 31-28 Suburban Small Seven Conference win.
Ironically, it was a huge defensive play by Fort Osage (5-1, 2-1) that appeared to set the tone of the game. On Staley’s second play of the game from its own 11-yard line, quarterback Trent Hosick dropped back to hand the ball off to running back Kahluna Bouchard, but the ball fell to the ground in the exchange, and sophomore linebacker Josh Tuimaseve picked it up at the 4-yard line and trotted in for the score.
But Hosick and the Falcons offense weren’t intimidated by the Indians’ brick wall defense scoring three touchdowns in the first half to take a 21-7 lead into the break.
“We came in with a game plan that we knew they were going to stop our running game, so we knew they had a phenomenal defense, but we were going to try to throw something at them they hadn’t seen us have to win with,” Hosick said. “So we came out and tried to air it out a little bit, and I think it worked for us.”
Hosick first scored on a 19-yard run, then from six yards out. Then right before the half, senior outside linebacker Charlie Becker blocked a punt and recovered it for a touchdown.
“We both gave each other a touchdown on the turnover and the blocked punt, and we can’t count on those every week, but boy, they’re nice when you end up with one so that’s kind of a wash,” said Staley head coach Fred Bouchard. “I was encouraged by how aggressive we were and how our guys competed and played.”
All of the momentum had swung in Staley’s favor as the second half opened. But this was Fort Osage
In the second half, senior quarterback Steven McBee engineered a comeback to bring his Indians even with the Falcons.
First, he hit senior wide receiver Brandon Winters for a 76-yard strike.
Hosick answered with a 36-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end Tyler Nugent who had 117 yards on six catches.
But, McBee wasn’t through. He then came back and hooked up with D’Vante Mosby for 54 yards and then ran for 44 to tie the game at 28.
The significance of McBee’s 44-yard touchdown run was that it was the bulk of Fort Osage’s rushing offense which finished the night with just 106 yards on the ground. McBee had 322 yards through the air on 13 of 31 passing.
With just 5:39 left to play, the game tied 28-28 and staring at fourth and eight from the Indian 11-yard line, Bouchard opted to send in Faizol Bouchard to boot a 28-yard field.
“We knew coming into this game there would be one or two plays that would separate the whole thing,” McBee said in reference to last year’s 7-6 loss to Staley in the state quarterfinal playoffs. “And it was again, but in crunch time, we were so close. We just have to work harder in practice. I think we got too comfortable at 5-0 and didn’t come out and practice like we should have. We’ll bounce back even harder.”
Unfortunately, there was still plenty of time for the Indians to score. Staley’s defense held not just once, but twice in the last five minutes to keep Fort Osage from moving the ball down field and sending a message to the rest of Class 5.